Monday, January 18, 2016

The MAP progress continues

We continue to work on our pop up tent...we've decided to call her our MAP, which stands for Mobile Adventure Platform or maybe Mobile Adventure Palace (we'll see how good the remodel turns out!). We took her for service this week. She got all her systems checked out and a couple repairs and a new battery.   We have started to paint all the cabinets white. We've done two coats of primer and one coat of paint on all the cabinet doors and two frames. We still have to do the third one which has the sink, fridge, and stove in it so it's still in the trailer. We need to tape off everything to paint this part, but we are under way... 

 Mike went today and purchased plywood to make new counter tops and got the basic sizes cut out.
Mike made the most delicious, yummy turkey in his smoker too. He's learning to use his new smoker to great results!

Friday, January 1, 2016

Camper Remodel Underway!

Here are some before pictures. It's not in bad shape, but it was really dirty. I spent most of yesterday scrubbing walls, ceiling, fridge...there was mold and mildew in several places, so I used a lot of mold and mildew cleaner. As an added plus, it smells much better now too. As you can see, the fabric is pretty dated as well. 

(After recently being left at the kennel for a week, Aspen is nervous and determined she's not getting left again, so every time we step foot in the camper, she's right there!)

While I was scrubbing, Mike was removing the cabinets. We are going to replace the flooring and paint the cabinets before reinstalling them. We've also been removing the canvas one panel at a time to clean it. 
Yuck! More mildew/mold growing under cabinets!

We spent a couple hours shopping too, so I've got new fabric for seat cushions (a red check), valances (red), and curtains for beds (fun antique map pattern). I have a lot of sewing to do. We bought white paint for the cabinets, and a light latte brown color for the walls below the beds. We planned to get vinyl with a wood look for the floor until we found out it was special order and would take awhile to come in. Plus, at $2.09 a square foot it wasn't going to break the bank, but it was more costly. Instead, we found a great bargain--clearance vinyl that looks like stone tile at $0.30 a square foot. That means our new flooring will cost a total of $18, and that's buying more than we needed because they come in 30 sq foot boxes. Turns out the flooring was way cheaper than all my upholstery fabric! 

We're underway anyway. We have a lot still to do, but all winter still to work. Jack doesn't understand why we can't go camping right now! It looks like the cars are destined to be parked outside for awhile as this project has taken over the garage. More updates to come...

Featured Post


We had a great time with 3 days at Disneyland!  The Disneyland Hotel was very nice, classy but with lots of discrete Mickey and Disney detai...