Monday, September 9, 2013

Fall Harvest

I know I've been terrible about keeping up lately, but I can only plead exhaustion! It's been a completely crazy back to school this year, and the garden has been in full swing too. On Thursday, we picked a 5 gallon bucket full of tomatoes. I gave a couple gallons away and then Saturday morning I made 10 pints of canned salsa, and a couple pints of fresh pico. Mike also made about 3 pints of HOT red pepper sauce too. Then Sunday we picked again. Here's a picture: 
Potatoes, onions, pumpkin, spaghetti squash, another 2 gallons of tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, peppers, and even a small cantaloupe and even smaller watermelon! I spent most of the day washing and putting away vegetables and also stewed down 4 of the pumpkins and made puree. I'm ready to start those yummy fall pumpkin recipes!  My favorite part of the day. I'm on the back lawn washing potatoes while Jack is playing in his kiddie pool. I'm bent over at the waist putting potatoes under the hose and Jack comes up behind me and pours an entire cup of water into my pants and then runs off laughing hysterically!   The bugger!

Today, he saw a motorcycle on the way home and then spent the entire ride home asking "Mommy, my own motorcycle."  He didn't seem to give my statement that he had to wait until he's older much credit at all! He's going to be that kid...I foresee trips to the emergency room in my future.

Anyway, I think I'm ready for the garden to finish off and things to cool off and really move into the fall.  The poor cat is still at the animal hospital. She's been there since last Wednesday. It's still seems pretty unlikely that she'll make it, but we're still holding out hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Disneyland!

We had a great time with 3 days at Disneyland!  The Disneyland Hotel was very nice, classy but with lots of discrete Mickey and Disney detai...