Thursday, June 18, 2009

Who Knew Screwdrivers had Clutches and other revelations!

The giant mud puddle is still going strong at the dog park, and today we met Lars, a Saint Bernard puppy who likes to lay down in the water and roll over. He looks like an elephant cooling off in the water, and comes up dripping gallons. He's quite amusing, and already 80 pounds at only 5 months! Of course, I had to run like crazy when he came out of the pond since his shake covered a half mile radius! Aspen and Lars had a great time splashing in the puddle. Aspen won't lay down in the water; she just runs through and splashes. The pictures are from my cell phone, so they aren't brillant.




Mike's wrist is officially broken, and he has the worst (or most spectacular, depending on how you look at it) bruise I have ever seen. The good news in the orthopedic surgeon said there are no shards floating around in there and he doesn't have to get a cast--just a brace for the next 6-8 weeks.



The bathroom remodel continues to come along slowly. Today, I finished laying the subfloor of cement board and tomorrow I will start to tile. I'm learning all kinds of handy skills. Today, I learned how to use a jigsaw and a tile saw, and I learned that power screwdrivers have a clutch. Who knew. I thought clutches were only for cars! I had to call my husband because I couldn't get the screws to go in all the way no matter how hard I tried. Still, the job got done in the end.


I visited the salon today for a haircut, which is always unique. My hair dresser is so un-me that it makes me nervous sometimes, but I like how she cuts my hair. It's just that I usually feel a little like I'm in the twilight zone. She has no boundaries, first of all, and asks me personal questions like "How's the family planning going?" as soon as she sees me. Now, this might be okay if in response to my telling her that we wanted kids or something to that effect, but I never have mentioned anything of the sort to her. Then, she's maybe 23 years old, she dies her hair different colors each month, she has a tattoo of which she is inordinately proud and prominantly displays, she's an unapologetic unwed mother who will happily tell you about how she got pregnant "by accident," and she has very interesting views on politics and most social situations. Perhaps most obnoxious to me is that fact that she frequently uses double superlatives like "most funnest" until I really want to adopt a teacher voice and lecture her. Ha! I try not to, but she does do a nice job with my hair.

2 comments:

  1. Lori,

    I am finally catching up on your blog. It sounds like you have had a crazy few weeks. I am so proud of you for tackling a bathroom remodel on your own. And Michael's bruise is stomach turning, I am glad that it will have time to fade this week before we see you.

    P.S. How is the family planning going? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lori - if you want to practice being Bob the Builder, I've got a few projects for you ... Anxious to hear your stories on all you've taken on! Some big jobs you've tackled with great success.
    Awesome visual of Michael's wrist - that is calendar material! Ouch

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Disneyland!

We had a great time with 3 days at Disneyland!  The Disneyland Hotel was very nice, classy but with lots of discrete Mickey and Disney detai...