Sunday, August 23, 2009

The I hate Wallpaper Tribute

I really do hate wallpaper, or at least the act of removing it. I've started working on the guest bedroom, which means wallpaper stripping first. This is a doubly annoying task because 1) all the wallpaper in our house was applied directly to drywall without ever finishing the walls and 2) there are several layers of wallpaper on any given wall. This wall was actually interesting because there were hidden secrets within. The top layer was blue plaid, and the bottom layer was blue plaid as well. No, that wasn't the surprising hidden secret, but on the bottom layer of blue plaid there were lots of drawings, some of which were quite well done. I uncovered sketches of transformers, skulls and crossbones, lightning bolts, comments about death rays, and all sorts of things drawn in magic markers. The room of a teenage boy mystifies the archeologist who's digging through the murky past. Seriously, I kept thinking about this as an anthropologist whose only clues to culture are what's left behind. It's a rather scary thought to think of our world being defined by far future generations based on the leftover doodles of a teenage boy! We'll have to repair and texture the walls next week, and then we will be able to paint.

Anyway, the wallpaper always comes off in tiny little pieces, and then it's wet from the steamer so it sticks to everything. And, I can never get all the layers off at the same time, so I have to peel each of 4 layers off one at a time. I do love when the wallpaper is gone!

I've had a productive weekend overall. I made homemade pasta sauce with tomatoes from my garden and some I purchased at a farm stand. Then, I did laundry, ran errands, worked around the house, helped clean the garage, watered the garden, and did some school work.

I also worked on several craft projects this weekend. I made a cute scrapbook page of Aspen to go in my "family" scrapbook. I also did a great recycling craft project. I had a bunch of plastic zipper bags--the kind that new curtains and sheets come in--so I pulled out the curtain advertisements that came in the pockets and replaced them with labels for "holiday cards," "thank you cards," "birthday cards," and "other cards" and I'm going to use them to store premade cards until I need them. This should keep them neat and clean and they don't take up much space.

Tomorrow is another school day, so I'd better get to finishing up my weekend projects and get the laundry put away. It's a busy week a comin'.


1 comment:

  1. Always like your update posts, get to find out what is happening in the Pierce household. Nice combination of work, cooking and playing. Those are the best kinds of weekends.
    Your wallpaper adventure is what I've experienced too, messy, sticky, tiny pieces. the end results are worth it but you don't get that reward during the awful part.
    Nice pic page of Aspen and great way to store finished cards.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Disneyland!

We had a great time with 3 days at Disneyland!  The Disneyland Hotel was very nice, classy but with lots of discrete Mickey and Disney detai...